Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thing #23: The End

I am so sad to see this program end. I have felt more energized by this training than any other in recent memory (except for BOP). I remember having a similar reaction to STYLE when we first rolled it out, but I can't really remember any other training that I immediately put to use and was sad to see end. I guess lifelong learning itself really never ends, but I will miss having a new thing to discover and play with every week.

My favorite dicsoveries, the things that I will continue to use, are blogging (a surprise), Flickr and the image generators, Google Docs and Google reader, YouTube, and of course, Twitter. I am also counting Firefox in with these favorites even though it wasn't an official thing. I had heard about it, but didn't really know much about it. If it hadn't been for the 23 Things (Twitter especially), I would never have tried Firefox. I love it now. It's actually annoying when I have to use IE for CML applications.

I looked back at the lifelong learning attributes. I still see problems as problems, not challenges. I probably always will. The difference now, though, is that I am not as afraid to ask for help. (A BOP skill, too: asking.) I also value playing more as a learning tool, too. I always knew I needed to use a new skill or tool awhile (break it) before I felt like I knew what I was doing. I realize now this is playing. I hope CML builds play time into any new initiatives it begins.

An unexpected outcome from this endeavor has been "meeting" people around the system. I have never met silvermarquis or shoebrarian, but I enjoy reading their blogs and following them on Twitter. I have learned things about my co-workers I probably wouldn't have learned otherwise.

I can't really think of anything I would do to improve the program. When staff were struggling to complete each thing in the allotted time, the time was extended. I am completely baffled by the staff who didn't want to even try the program. I've heard lots of folks say, "I don't have time." You don't have time to learn something new? You don't have time to improve your skills? I don't get it. This stuff isn't going away. I, for one, was tired of my customers (and kids) knowing more than I did. I'm still not the best at troubleshooting and figuring out the techy ends of these things, but I am glad I know more about using them. I hope the 23 Things stay posted somewhere. Maybe staff who didn't try it the first time through will give it a try later. If this program were offered with 23 new things, I would be the first to sign up!

No comments:

Post a Comment