Friday, March 13, 2009

Insomnia Sing Along

Okay, here is a little ditty I am writing because I cannot sleep. Sing along with me:
Oh, the tune is "Oh Christmas Tree" I know it's March, but that's the tune.

Insomnia, Insomnia.
Oh how I hate insomnia!
Insomnia, insomnia.
Oh how I hate insomnia!
You keep me up too late at night.
I should be tucked in tight.
Insomnia, Insomnia.
Oh how I hate insomnia.


Hmmm...not thrilled with that 6th line. What else rhymes with night? bite, kite, light, might, fight, height, sight, white. I am so good at phonological awareness! (That is a fancy ready to read term that means rhyming.) Let's see if I can get a better line:

You keep me up too late at night.
Nothing for bite..
I won't be able to fly a kite
Hope I'm asleep by morning light.
Nothing for might...
Nothing for fight...
Nothing for height...
My eyes are bloodshot; such a sight!
The sleeping pill I took was white.

Those are pretty sucky. I kind of like the bloodshot eyes one the best. No, the morning light one is better. I wish I could come up with rhymes for all of them. Ideas, fellow insomniacs? (Or fellow rhymers?)

I am sleepy and tired. Why will my brain not turn off? I should have taken the sleeping pill earlier. Except I was at work until 9, and I probably would have gotten in trouble for sleeping at the Info desk. I've read enough about insomnia to know that I should not be out of bed blogging right now. Nor watching tv ("Big" is on VH1--haven't seen that one in a long time.) I should be laying (lying?? I never get that one right), resting my eyes waiting for sleep to come. But it doesn't. And then I start thinking. Hence the certain Grammy-award winning song I wrote, above.

Since I am online, I will probably check Facebook and Twitter too, just to see if anyone else is up. No offense folks, but I'd really rather be sleeping.

EDIT: Don't you hate it when you check your post for errors, find none, hit post, and then see a huge TYPO????!!!! I hate that.

2 comments:

  1. I like the original rhyme of "tucked in tight" but you need more syllables in the line for it to fit the song.

    I humbly suggest:
    I wish I could be tucked in tight
    or
    I know I should be tucked in tight

    As a fellow sufferer of the affliction, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right the phrasing is off. What can I say? It was 1:30 in the morning. I was not at my best. Your suggestions are much better.

    ReplyDelete