Wednesday, September 17, 2008

#14: Library 2.0

I think I am still having trouble getting my head around this. I think I understand the key ideas, but I'm just not sure what I personally need to do with them. This program is the first step, I'm sure. Learning more about the tools that connect customers to us and to one another and figuring out the best way to integrate them into the library. Some things did stand out to me as I read the resources for this exercise:

1. Get rid of "just in case" collections. I may never be a 2.0 librarian if I have to give up the printed collection. I see the author's point about reference material being available faster on the web, but I believe (perhaps foolishly) that people are always going to want to READ A BOOK. I cannot get rid of all of our fiction titles just because we can get little portable electronic books. Maybe I am not a "trendspotter" (sorry, Michael Stephens), but I just don't see people giving up books for these expensive gadgets. I never intend to.

2. User Education. Boy is this an issue at my location! Everyday, I help people who call themselves "ignorant" about computers. They literally back away from the terminal when I need to show them how to register for cards or for computer time. Many of these people do not know how to use a mouse, but they need to apply for a job online. It's very scary. We do have classes here, and a few people take advantage of them. I've even heard from happy "graduates" who came back in to say thanks. There is an entire generation/population out there who don't like computers. Even though they are fairly easy to use, they fear them. I don't know how we reach all of those users.

3. Trendspotting. I am not good at this at all. I have not read the OCLC documents, although I have heard about them. I've even attended workshops on them (maybe at Staff Development Day???) I just don't have the right mindset for this particular skill. I live in the here-and-now, solving problems as they come up. If this skill is required to get my MLIS in 2.0, I may need to repeat a grade. (I am old enough that I only hold an MLS; I'm missing the "I" that today's fine graduates are getting. Does that make my degree obsolete? I hope not.)

Wow, this is a long post. I guess I had more to say about Library 2.0 than I thought. I hope that means I'm on my way toward becoming a Librarian 2.0.

No comments:

Post a Comment