Thursday, October 16, 2008

Still Learning and Playing on a "Week Off"

Well, L&P added some weeks where we don't have to do any "things." I know there is a sports term for that, but I can't remember what it is. If you are following the L&P blog, you probably saw a little video starring moi. (When the Academy calls, please page me on Vocera.) Gerald and Joy are super nice and if they ask to come film you, let them. After using Firefox to solve my Internet Explorer/Google Docs dilemma, I decided to spend this week playing with Firefox as my browser. Mostly, I really like it. It seems pretty fast. I love how I can customize the toolbars and buttons; I am currently styling a Halloween theme. I absolutely LOVE the add-ons. Mucho thanks to library4joy for showing me the TwitterFox add-on. It keeps Twitter refreshed on my browser all day so I can stay in touch with all of the tweets. I also love the way it remembers all of those pesky user names and passwords for me on every site! It's great to not have to type those out every time. I did find, however, that some of the library tools will not open on Firefox very well. Iemployee, for example, warns you when you are about to open it in Firefox that it won't work well. I had problems viewing LearnerWeb, too. I think I will continue to use Firefox after this week. It's great to know that we have an option other than IE.

I also played with google reader this week. I tried bloglines earlier, and didn't really like it. It was hard to set up and looked cluttered. Google reader was so simple to set up, and extremely easy to add my feeds. I don't think I typed anything; it was all cut and paste. Of course, after I did all of that I saw an even simpler way: there is a hyper-link that says "import feeds" or something like that. Oh well. It was good practice.

I am looking forward to next week's things already!

1 comment:

  1. I tried TwitBin for a while . . . but Twitterfox is MUCH better. LOVE IT!

    It's a bummer that we still need IE for some things - IFAS, iemployee, etc. Ah well, that's just the way life is sometimes.

    ReplyDelete